HOME                         Return to Thumbnail Photographs                         Back to Images Index

Located in the Barbican just West of the Moorgate Tube Station, this tower was originally the Elsing Spital Tower. Built and donated around 1329 (during the reign of Edward III) as a hospital to succor 100 blind men, it was first called the Priory or Hospital of St. Mary the Virgin. Later, the tower was incorporated into the church of St. Alphage, which is how it would have been known during the Renaissance.

Map reference: M 3